FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
SSP America Opens Collection of Restaurants and Bars at Midway International Airport
Additions expand SSP America’s restaurant portfolio with primarily local brands
(United States, November 30, 2023): SSP America, a division of SSP Group, a leading operator of food and beverage brands in travel locations worldwide, has opened a collection of restaurants and bars at Midway International Airport (MDW) with the majority located in a food court area called the Central Market. The collection is comprised primarily of local brands consistent with SSP America’s focus on bringing a ‘taste of place’ to the airports its serves.
SSP America has operated at MDW since 2017, and the new openings represent the latest development in SSP America’s efforts to elevate the culinary experience for MDW travelers. In total SSP America’s joint venture partners, subtenants and hundreds of team members now operate more than 30 restaurants in total. The percentage of Airport Concessions Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (ACDBE) involved with the project makes the operation an industry leading program with total percentage of ACDBE participation at almost 60%.
SSP America is a member of Midway Partnership, a joint venture that also includes Vantage Airport Group and Hudson, which was selected by the Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) to lead a $75 million transformation of Midway’s concession program.
“SSP America and its local, minority partners have been true partners in delivering our ambitious vision to transform the traveler experience at Chicago Midway. The Central Market is at the heart of Midway Partnership’s $75 million transformation of the airport’s eating and shopping experience,” said Sammy Patel, CEO, Midway Partnership. “Our successful collaboration with SSP is built around ensuring community benefit, showcasing Chicago, and doing our utmost to collaborate with and support people and local businesses in the community.”
Senior Vice President of Business Development Bob Stanton commented, “The transformation of MDW led by CDA and Midway Partnership is truly remarkable—from the improved infrastructure around the Airport, TSA facilities, and the redevelopment of the concessions program, MDW is now a world-class airport which offers a tremendous experience for travelers. These openings represent the final phase of our development efforts. It’s truly a unique effort given the extraordinary level of ACDBE participation and representation from the local restaurant community. This collection of brands rounds out our MDW portfolio of restaurants, and we’re grateful for the participation of all our restaurant partners including those we’ve been operating with for a number of years.”
The newly opened restaurants are:
- White Sox Bar & Grill: Brings the hometown Sox experience to Midway travelers with a unique ballpark-inspired menu and dining experience. The restaurant features an abundance of memorabilia, décor and unique design elements, all paying homage to Chicago’s beloved World Series winning baseball team the White Sox.
- Reilly’s Daughter: Reilly’s Daughter is a familiar name to locals and now has two spots at MDW. Travelers will enjoy friendly neighborhood fare throughout the day.
- America’s Dog & Burger: With a menu based on a cross-country road trip, the menu features hot dogs from across the U.S. and is considered an iconic Chicago food gem.
- Connie’s Pizza: A Chicago favorite since 1963 and pizza pioneer, Connie’s Pizza is a go-to restaurant for those who crave the city’s classic deep-dish pizza.
- Big Bowl: Offers authentic, wok-tossed Chinese bowls using the highest quality ingredients with options including Orange Chicken, Beef & Broccoli and additions such as potstickers or egg rolls.
- M Burger: A local Chicago handmade burger joint sure to satisfy passenger cravings and serving up burgers made with freshly ground, all-natural midwestern Black Angus beef, Kennebec fries, Martin’s Potato Buns and house-made sauces.
- Tall Boy Taco’s: From Chicago’s Streeterville neighborhood comes locally made tortillas in a quick, casual, and funky environment. The menu includes fan-favorite tacos, quesadillas and salads along with refreshing agua fresca.
- Beechers Handmade Cheese: Offers travelers a menu rich with critically acclaimed specialty cheeses including made-to-order grilled sandwiches, hot soups such as the Tomato Flagship, and of course, the Oprah-endorsed “World’s Best” Mac & Cheese.
- Dunkin: Midway runs on Dunkin’ throughout the day with its famous coffee, donuts, pastries, sandwiches and more.
About SSP America
SSP America is a division of SSP Group, a leading operator of food and beverage concessions in travel locations, operating restaurants, bars, cafés, food courts, lounges and convenience stores in airports, train stations, motorway service stations and other leisure locations. We operate in approximately 600 travel locations and manage more than 550 international, national, and local brands across our 2,600 units. The SSP America team is driven by a shared vision to bring authentic restaurant experiences to every airport in North America. Our employees have a passion for exceptional food served by people who believe in heartfelt hospitality. Our airport partners trust SSP America to deliver a world-class portfolio of brands with broad passenger appeal and lasting commercial viability. Our brand heroes trust us to bring a taste of place to their hometown airport.
About Midway Partnership
Midway Partnership is a joint venture comprised of some of the top companies in the aviation industry – Vantage Airport Group, SSP America, and Hudson – tasked with transforming the dining and shopping options at Chicago Midway International Airport. Midway Partnership will invest over $75 million to bring nearly 70 dining and retail brands to create 250 construction jobs and over 1,000 permanent new jobs and increase the total concessions area from approximately 40,000 square feet to almost 70,000 square feet. Our work will position Midway to be a leading international airport in the coming years, generate tens of millions of dollars for Chicago residents and the city, and improve the travel experience for 22 million passengers annually.